Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Michelle's theories on driving...

Driving in Canada usually meant that my Jetta was in the shop at least once a month...I used to curse that but I am now rethinking how good I had it in my little VW...

In Ireland's narrow roads, I found that if I sucked in my breath, our tour bus almost always squeezed through...even if there was a transport truck coming from the other way and the road was technically only big enough for 1 1/2 vehicles...

I won't even go into my terrifying night ride into Nairobi...(see previous blog)

Then we went onto our build in Miarinarivo...Our bus driver decided he wouldn't drive the bus into the park because of how bad the roads were...so we had a 30 degree, dusty five mile hike to the falls...I was willing to pay anything to get a ride out but our hosts didn't want us to pay the $20 USD for 15 of us to ride in the back of a truck...too expensive...so when they bargained them down to $6, I was all over that...And I didn't even blink an eye when they had to keep stopping to put in brake fluid...



So today...I'm back in Nairobi and my buddy Sammy picks me up at the airport...and puts me in the front seat because my bags are in the back seat. (I didn't want to even ask what was in the trunk so that my bags couldn't go there)... Sammy hands me a newspaper as I got in...(and it was in english??) So of course we run into traffic jams so Sammy does his usual "shortcuts" through town and we end up in this flooded area...and we're hitting bottom of these foot and a half pools of water...and I'm still hiding behind my newspaper, pretending not to mind...ugh

So here's my newest idea for getting me around town safely...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home